Thursday, October 13, 2011

Why Do They Leave?

Being a pastor in the Church is a joy for me. When asked why I became a pastor, I only half-jokingly reply, "Its the only thing I can do!"

One of the parts of being a pastor, though, is not so much fun. Watching people leave the church. I've seen people leave for a lot of reasons - church is boring, it doesn't meet my needs, the people are not friendly, the pastor is not friendly (that one kicks me in the groin gut every time).

Today I read a blog post that deals with the specific issue of why young poeple leave the church - those age 15 to about 30 years old.

You can read that blog here: (and I strongly encourage you do to so).

After you've done that, would you please post your feelings as a comment about one or more of the reasons that are cited in the article.

Thanks!

Pastor B.

Reason #1 – Churches seem overprotective.

Reason #2 – Teens’ and twentysomethings’ experience of Christianity is shallow.
Reason #3 – Churches come across as antagonistic to science.
Reason #4 – Young Christians’ church experiences related to sexuality are often simplistic, judgmental.
Reason #5 – They wrestle with the exclusive nature of Christianity.
Reason #6 – The church feels unfriendly to those who doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment